Erectile dysfunction (ED) is a common problem that many men face during their lifetime. But is every man guaranteed to get ED eventually? No. However, men should know that erectile dysfunction DOES become more common with age. While the cause of ED isn’t always clear, various age-related factors could increase your risk of developing this condition. Fortunately, there are measures you can take to help prevent ED, and there are effective, healthy, all-natural treatments for ED.
Does Aging Cause Erectile Dysfunction?
Research has shown that after age 50, there is a sharp increase in the percentage of men who experience some form of erectile dysfunction. Men in their 60s or older are affected in even greater numbers, and younger men can also get ED.
So, what is the relationship between age and erectile dysfunction? As men age, they experience natural changes to their bodies that can interfere with healthy erections. Some examples include:
- Decreased testosterone levels
- Increased inflammation in the body
- Development of other health problems that may contribute to ED (such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, and prostate cancer)
- Poor or diminished circulation
Other factors that are more common in older men can also contribute to erectile dysfunction:
- Treating unrelated health problems with medications known to cause ED (such as antidepressants, pain medication, and high blood pressure medicine)
- Decreased physical activity/sedentary lifestyle
- Anxiety and depression
What Are Some Other Causes of Erectile Dysfunction?
While aging is certainly a factor in the development of erectile dysfunction, it is not the only factor. There are a variety of other factors that can contribute to problems getting and maintaining an erection, including:
- Injury to the nerves
- Peyronie’s Disease
- Substance abuse, including alcohol and drugs
- Hormonal imbalances
- Poor circulation
- Sleep apnea
Can Men Prevent ED as They Age?
There are a few lifestyle adjustments that men can make to help prevent erectile dysfunction as they age. These include:
- Exercising regularly (especially cardiovascular exercise)
- Eating a healthy diet
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Limiting alcohol intake
- Quitting smoking
- Reducing stress levels
- Getting enough sleep each night
- Keeping blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels under control
- Managing hormone levels
- Talking to your doctor about ways to manage anxiety, depression, and other health conditions without taking medications known to cause ED
Getting Treatment for Age-Related ED
If you have already experienced some form of ED, it doesn’t mean you have to deal with this problem for the rest of your life. This common condition can be resolved with an all-natural, surgery-free, and drug-free treatment known as GAINSWave®. GAINSWave® treatment for erectile dysfunction has been proven effective in men of all ages. Even older men with prolonged erectile dysfunction have experienced improvement in achieving and maintaining erections after GAINSWave® treatments.
Aging is known to have many adverse effects on health, but male sexual well-being doesn’t have to be one of them. Know the age-related factors of ED and take steps now to maintain optimum health.
To find out more about male sexual health and the effectiveness of GAINSWave® treatment for erectile dysfunction, schedule an appointment at Amore Medical Spa with sexual health expert Dr. Nicole Eisenbrown. Call (407) 212-9532 or contact us online to book your consultation now.